Monday, September 11, 2006

Free Screen-Savers for Everyone!



So I was on the Apple download page, looking at their free screen-savers, and it struck me that a lot of them stink. After fooling around with Quartz Composer for the better part of half an hour, I discovered that making a screen-saver on a Mac is sort of like working with Reason. You end up working with a series of signal controllers that can be rerouted to other controllers, with near-limitless flexibility. Please enjoy this set of three quartz screen-savers. FlameSaver and WebCamSaver both show my RSS feed, and FairySaver is a cute little yellow light that flies around the screen (on top of a photo I took at the botanical gardens). Why doesn't Apple publicize this little program better to non-developers? Surprisingly, it IS quite user friendly. What other cool things are lurking deep within my PowerMac? Anyway, please enjoy these (Mac OS X-only) screen-savers!